For your very special day we endeavour to provide the highest quality Wedding Car hire and Photography services in all areas of the North East Region including County Durham, Tyne and Wear, Northumberland, Cleveland and North Yorkshire. We have a fine varied selection of cars to cater for all your requirements, all at very reasonable prices.

Contact Info

Brooklands Wedding Cars

The Old Police Station





T: 01207528425

M: 0775 9956189

E: brooklandsweddingcars@googlemail.com

Get In Touch

Civil Ceremony

The Ceremony of Getting Married 


You can get married or enter into a civil partnership in the UK if you’re:

  • 16 or over
  • free to marry, or form a civil partnership (single, divorced or widowed)
  • not closely related

You need permission from your parents or guardians if you’re under 18.

There are usually 2 steps to getting married or entering into a civil partnership in England and Wales.

  1. Give notice at your local register office.

  2. Have a religious ceremony or civil ceremony at least 16 days after giving notice.

There may be different steps for some religious ceremonies.


Giving notice at your local register office

For most marriages or civil partnerships you must give notice at your local register office.

Your notice will be publicly displayed in the register office for 15 days.

Contact your local register office to make an appointment.

You need to give the register office at least 16 days’ notice of your marriage or civil partnership.

You can only give notice at a register office if you have lived in the registration district for at least the past 7 days.

There are different rules for religious ceremonies.

When you go to the register office, you need to take proof of your name, age and nationality, eg your:

  • passport
  • birth certificate
  • driving licence
  • national identity card
  • immigration status document

You should bring at least 2 of these.

The registrar also needs something with your address on it, eg your driving licence or one of the following dated within the last 3 months:

  • gas, water or electricity bill
  • bank statement
  • Council Tax bill

If you don’t have a valid passport and you were born after 1983, you might need other documents - check with the register office.

You each need to pay a £35 fee when you attend the register office to give notice.

If you’ve been divorced or widowed

If you’ve been married or in a civil partnership before, you need to take either:

A foreign divorce will usually be recognised in England and Wales if it was valid in the country where it took place.

The registrar will check your overseas divorce documents and may have to get in touch with the General Register Office to confirm whether your marriage can go ahead.


A religious wedding can take place at a church, chapel or other registered religious building.

Religious blessing can take place after a civil ceremony in a register office.

Anglican marriages

To get married in an Anglican church, contact your local church in:

You don’t usually need to give notice with the register office if you’re getting married in an Anglican church. Officials performing Anglican marriages will register your marriage.

Jewish and Quaker marriages

You need to give notice with the register office at least 16 days before the ceremony. Officials performing Jewish or Quaker marriages will register marriages.

Marriages in all other religions

You need to give notice with the register office at least 16 before the ceremony. Ministers and priests of other religions can be authorised to register marriages.

If the official performing the ceremony is not authorised, either a Registrar must attend the religious ceremony or you need to have separate religious and civil ceremonies.


Wedding vows

You must exchange some formal wording if you’re getting married.

Discuss any other wording you want in the ceremony with the person conducting the wedding.

You don’t need to exchange vows for a civil partnership, but you can do so if you wish.

Civil ceremonies can include readings, songs or music, but must not include anything that’s religious - eg hymns or readings from the Bible.

You will need to have at least 2 witnesses at the ceremony.

Signing the register

You, your partner and your 2 witnesses must sign the marriage register or civil partnership document.

Cost of registering a marriage or civil partnership

You will have to pay a fee to register the marriage or civil partnership.

This is £45 if you have the ceremony at a register office, but may be more at other venues. Ask the registrar or religious minister for details.

The marriage or civil partnership certificate costs £4 on the day of the event or £7 after. You may need a copy to prove your marital status in the future.


You can have a civil ceremony or civil partnership at:

  • a register office
  • any venue approved by the local council - eg a stately home or hotel

Approved premises for marriages and civil partnerships in County Durham

Barnard Castle

Jersey Farm Hotel

Darlington Road, Barnard Castle, County Durham. DL12 8TA

Tel: 01833 638 223

Email: enquiries@jerseyfarmhotel.co.uk

Jersey Farm Hotel and Restaurant website

Registrar: Bishop Auckland area

30 Galgate

Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12 8BH

Tel: 03000 260600

Registrar: Bishop Auckland area

The Bowes Museum

Barnard Castle, County Durham. DL12 8NP

Tel: 01833 690 606

Email: weddings@thebowesmuseum.org.uk    

The Bowes Museum Website

Registrar: Bishop Auckland area

The Morritt Arms Hotel

Greta Bridge, Rokeby, County Durham. DL12 9SE

Tel: 01833 627 232

Email: relax@themorrit.co.uk

The Morrit Arms Hotel Website

Registrar: Bishop Auckland area



Beamish Hall Hotel

Beamish, Stanley, County Durham. DH9 0YB

Tel: 01207 233 733

Registrar: Durham/Stanley area

Beamish Open Air Museum

Beamish, County Durham. DH9 0RG

Tel: 0191 370 4000 

Email: museum@beamish.org.uk

Beamish Museum website

Registrar: Durham/Stanley area


Bishop Auckland

Cockton House

35 Cockton Hill Road, Bishop Auckland, County Durham. DL14 6HS

Tel: 03000 260600 

Registrar: Bishop Auckland area

Helme Park Hall Hotel

Fir Tree, Near Bishop Auckland, County Durham. DH2 4NW

Tel: 01388 730 970

Registrar: Bishop Auckland area

Horsley Hall

Eastgate, Bishop Auckland, County Durham. DL13 2LJ

Tel: 01388 517 239

Email: hotel@horsleyhall.co.uk

Horsley Hall website

Registrar: Bishop Auckland area

Park Head Hotel

New Coundon, Bishop Auckland,  County Durham. DL14 8QB

Tel: 01388 661 727

Registrar: Bishop Auckland area



Bowburn Hall Hotel

David Terrace, Bowburn, County Durham. DH6 5NH

Tel: 0191 377 0311

Registrar: Durham/Stanley area


Lumley Castle Hotel

Chester-le-Street, County Durham. DH2 4NX

Tel: 0191 389 1111

Registrar: Durham/Stanley area


Aykley Heads House

Aykley Heads, Durham. DH1 5TS

Tel: 03000 263263

Registrar: Durham/Stanley area

Crook Hall

Sidegate, County Durham. DH1 5SZ

Tel: 0191 384 8028

Crook Hall Gardens website

Registrar: Durham/Stanley area

Durham Radisson SAS Hotel

Framwellgate Waterside, County Durham. DH1 5SY

Tel: 0191 372 7200

Durham Raddison SAS website

Registrar: Durham/Stanley area

Ramside Hall Hotel and Golf Club

Carrville, County Durham. DH1 1TD

Tel: 0191 386 5282

Email: ramsidehal@aol.com

Ramside Hall Hotel website

Registrar: Durham/Stanley area

Royal County Hotel

Old Elvet, Durham City. DH1 3HN

Tel: 0191 386 6821

Registrar: Durham/Stanley area

St Aidan's College

University of Durham, Windmill Hill, County Durham. DH1 3LJ

Tel: 0191 374 3264

Email: dorothy.anson@durham.gov.uk

Registrar: Durham/Stanley area

Three Tuns Hotel

New Elvet, Durham City. DH1 3AQ

Tel: 0191 3864326

Email: threetuns.sales@BTinternet.com

Three Tuns website   

Registrar: Durham/Stanley area



Headlam Hall Hotel

Headlam, Near Gainford, Darlington, County Durham. DL2 3HA

Tel: 01325 730 238

Email: admin@headlamhall.co.uk

Headlam Hall Hotel website

Registrar: Bishop Auckland area


Hardwicke Hall Manor Hotel

Hesleden, Hartlepool. TS27 4PA

Tel: 01429 836 326

Registrar: Seaham area


Shotton Hall

Peterlee, County Durham. SR8 2PH

Tel: 0191 5862491

Email: peterleecouncil@daltonet.com

Registrar: Seaham area



Hallgarth Manor Hotel

Pittington, County Durham. DH6 1AB

Tel: 0191 372 1188

Registrar: Durham/Stanley area


Eden Arms Hotel

Rushyford, County Durham. DL17 0LL

Tel: 01388 720 541

Registrar: Bishop Auckland area


Seaham Contact Centre

St John's Square, Sophia Street, Seaham, County Durham. SR7 7JE

Tel: 03000 262501  

Registrar: Seaham area


19-20 North Railway Street, Seaham, County Durham. SR7 7DA

Tel: 0191 529 5295

Registrar: Seaham area

Seaham Hall Hotel

Lord Byron's Walk, Seaham, County Durham. SR7 7AG

Tel: 0191 516 1400

Email: reservations@seaham-hall.com

Seaham Hall Hotel website

Registrar: Seaham area


Hardwick Hall Hotel

Sedgefield, County Durham. TS21 2EH

Tel: 01740 620 253

Hardwick Hall Hotel website


Registrar: Bishop Auckland area

Sedgefield Racecourse

Racecourse Road, Sedgefield, Stockton on Tees. TS21 2HW

Tel: 01740 621 925

Sedgefield Racecourse

Registrar: Bishop Auckland area


Shildon Civic Hall

Civic Hall Square, Shildon, County Durham. DL4 1AH

Tel: 01388 772902

Registrar: Bishop Auckland area  


Whitworth Hall Hotel

Stanners Lane, Spennymoor, County Durham. DL16 7QX

Tel: 01388 811 772

Email: weddings@whitworthhall.co.uk

Whitworth Hall website

Registrar: Bishop Auckland area


South Causey Inn

Stanley, County Durham. DH9 0LS

Tel: 01207 235 555

Email: southcausey@hotmail.com

South Causey Inn website

Registrar: Durham/Stanley area

West Auckland

Manor House Hotel and Country Club

The Green, West Auckland, County Durham. DL14 9HW

Tel: 01388 834 834

The Manor House Hotel website

Email: enquiries@manorhousehotel.net

Registrar: Bishop Auckland area